Neurosurgery is the super speciality branch of medicine concerned with the surgical management of diseases of the nervous system composed of the brain, spinal cord and spinal column, as well as the nerves that travel through all parts of the body. The Department of Neurosurgery at DMIMS is fully equipped to perform all types of surgeries for a wide range of neurological illnesses. These include:
- Paediatric Neurosurgery: Congenital diseases of the brain and spine and other illnesses affecting children
- Neuro Oncology: Tumours of the brain, spine and spinal cord
- CerebroVascular Surgery: Stroke, haemorrhage in the brain and spinal cord, vascular diseases such as aneurysms and vascular malformations
- Spine Surgery: Instrumentation of the spine and the cranio-vertebral junction, degenerative disc and other spinal diseases
- Skull Base surgery: Diseases of the pituitary gland, skull base tumours, etc
- Minimally invasive Neuro navigation guided surgery, Intra op Neuro monitoring
- Surgery for epilepsy and movement disorders
- Peripheral nerve surgery
- Brain and spine trauma management
The department is supported by state-of-the-art dedicated neurosurgical operation theatres, equipped with a world’s latest Carl Zeiss Kinevo 900 Operating Microscope, Medtronic’s Stealth S8 Neuronavigation system, Medtronic’s intra op neuro monitoring system, a Karl Storz Neuroendoscope, a Midas Rex drill system, NSK drill system, a Misonix Ultrasonic Surgical aspirator, C—arm with imported micro neurosurgical instruments.
A dedicated Neurosurgical Intensive Care Unit provides comprehensive care for postoperative and acutely ill patients.
Department of neurosurgery has successfully performed more than 1000 brain tumour surgeries, 500 paediatric neurosurgery, 300 cerebrovascular surgeries, 2000 spine surgeries, 2000 head injuries, etc in last 15 years